Sometimes I wonder why people keep complaining about the lack of jobs when there are several Work from home jobs online that are even paying way high than most offline jobs.
According to the International Labour Organization, 113 million jobs were lost in 2020, due to the covid-19 lockdown.
While jobs are gradually returning back, it will take years before the world fully recovers from the effect of covid-19.
In sub-Saharan Africa, which has been battling with a high unemployment rate even before the covid pandemic, the result is becoming catastrophic.
The massive loss of jobs and subsequent downturn in the economy, is causing runaway inflation which is catapulting millions of people below the poverty line.
In Nigeria for instance, food inflation has increased steadily to over 21% now. Any woman that goes to the market, will tell you the true state of things.
The Naira has depreciated to N758 for 1 dollar!
How Secure is Your Current Job?
Most people have realized what we have been saying for a long time… jobs are not secure!
Building your future around your job is a very unstable way to build your career. Even if you are the best staff in your company, an unforeseen event like the pandemic or economic melt-down can seriously affect the company you work for, to the point that mass sack becomes inevitable.
So instead of basing your future on your job, it is better to build your future around your skill!
You can easily lose your job, but you will not lose your skill and thank God for the internet, skills are always in demand.
Are Work From Home Jobs Real?
The increasing bandwidth of the internet, and the decreasing cost of connectivity, have ushered in a new era of skill-based economy and remote work.
While millions of people lost their regular office jobs, in the same span of time, millions of people switched over to remote work.
In fact, most companies, including giants like Facebook, Google, and Microsoft, have massively shifted most of the labor force to remote work.
The beauty of this model is that now, anyone can work for any company, from anywhere in the world!
Work From Home Jobs in Nigeria
Geographic location is becoming irrelevant in the workforce, and while many companies still like to have their workers within their geographical location, millions of smaller companies all over the world, are focusing more on skills and cost, not location.
When we started training Virtual Assistants, we had no idea that the pandemic was coming, but we already sensed the slow shift from 9-5 work to flexible remote work.
Are Work From Home Jobs Legit?
The internet was becoming faster, giving many people like nursing mothers, multi-talented young men, unemployed, and under-employed workers, the opportunity to become more productive and make profitable use of their free time.
Today, remote work has moved from a side hustle to a major source of income for millions of people worldwide, and this shift has benefited sub-Saharan Africa more because we already have massive unemployment.
You may not know it, but millions of youths in Nigeria today, make 100% of their living working online legitimately doing Work From Home Jobs.
Work From Home Jobs and How Much You Can Earn
So based on our extensive experience in remote work, I want to quickly show you some lucrative jobs you can do online, and the potential benefits.
1. English Teacher – Work From Home Jobs
The demand for English teachers has been increasing, even before the pandemic.
This is driven in part due to the billions of people in non-English speaking countries like China, India, Latin America, etc.. who urgently need mastery of the English language, in order to work effectively for global companies and to broaden their opportunities.
Certified English teachers are also highly in-demand, as many students worldwide, struggle to pass required English language certifications like Tofel and TEFL.
A lot of online companies are currently hiring remote English-certified and non-certified English teachers, and freelancers can also land their individual English teacher jobs on a variety of freelance of Work From Home Jobs websites.
Payment ranges from $10 to $24 per hour, depending on whether you are certified or not.
2. Writer – Work From Home Jobs
Writers are another in-demand skill in the remote workspace.
Good copywriters command a premium payment, and in fact, many companies are looking to permanently retain good copywriters remotely.
This is why most jobs in the copywriting space, are long-term contracts from one year upwards.
3. Appointment Setting and Call handling
One of the most common remote work is appointment setting and call handling.
Cold calling is a common job that millions of businesses in the USA outsource to virtual assistants and freelancers. Sectors like the real estate industry, insurance, etc in the USA, are constantly in need of call handlers from all over the world.
Currently, the Philippines and India are the leading destinations for call-handling jobs, but Nigerian Virtual Assistants are stepping up quickly because we speak better English than Filipinos and Indians.
Some Virtual Assistants we trained, are working currently for USA-based companies in this capacity.
Payment ranges from around $10 to $15 per hour and may include extra commissions on successful close.
4. Data Entry – Work From Home Jobs
Another common work-from-home job is data entry.
The great thing about data entry is that almost anyone can learn the skills required. Data entry involves transferring data from one form to another, for example, from jpeg to excel, or scraping data from an online source to a database.
Payment varies ranges from as low as $5 per hour to $20 per hour, depending on the level of difficulty.
Most data entry jobs may also come with a one-time payment for a batch of work, however competent workers are generally retained or recommended for better jobs.
5. Digital Marketing – Work From Home Jobs
It is hard to find any company in the world today, that doesn’t require the services of digital marketing.
Digital marketing is very vast, with many subcategories like social media marketing, Facebook marketing, Instagram marketing and management, content creation, email marketing, newsletter management, blog management, funnel creation, SEO specialist, etc…
Simply put, a great digital marketer will not lack amazing work-from-home opportunities, and the best ones can easily create multiple sources of income, like affiliate marketing, etc.
Payment for digital marketers ranges from $20 to $60 per hour, however, top-notch digital marketers, can command up to $80,000 per year for long-term working relationships.
6. Bookkeeping and Accounting – Work From Home Jobs
Accounting and bookkeeping are other jobs that are commonly outsourced by foreign companies on Work From Home Jobs sites.
If you have bookkeeping experience, or better still, trained as a professional accountant, then you will find lots of remote work opportunities from all over the world.
Payment ranges from $12 per hour for low-level accounting, to $75 per hour for certified professional accountants.
7. Social Media Manager – Work From Home Jobs
A social media manager is responsible for creating and curating content, interacting with followers, and managing the overall presence of a brand on social media platforms. Some of the specific tasks that a social media manager may be responsible for include:
- Developing and implementing a social media strategy: This may involve identifying the goals and objectives of the brand’s social media presence, determining the target audience, and determining which platforms to focus on.
- Creating and scheduling social media content: This may involve writing and designing posts, selecting accompanying images or videos, and scheduling posts to be published at strategic times.
- Interacting with followers: Social media managers may be responsible for responding to comments, answering questions, and engaging with followers to build relationships and foster a sense of community.
- Analyzing and reporting on social media metrics: Social media managers may use tools such as Google Analytics to track the performance of the brand’s social media efforts and identify areas for improvement.
To become a social media manager, you’ll need to do the following:
- Develop a strong understanding of social media platforms and how to effectively use them for business purposes.
- Gain experience with social media by managing your own accounts or volunteering to manage the accounts of friends or organizations.
- Build a portfolio of your social media work, including examples of content you have created and results you have achieved.
- Research and apply for social media manager positions, or consider starting your own social media management business.
- Continuously stay up-to-date with the latest social media trends and best practices to ensure that you are providing the best possible service to your clients.
Being a social media manager can be a rewarding and creative way to work from home, but it’s important to keep in mind that it can also be time-consuming and requires a significant investment of time and effort. It’s also important to stay organized and effectively manage your workload
8. Transcriptionist – Work From Home Jobs
A transcriptionist is a professional who listens to audio or video recordings and transcribes the spoken words into written documents. Transcriptionists may work with a variety of different types of recordings, such as interviews, lectures, meetings, or focus groups, and may produce transcriptions for a variety of purposes, such as for captioning or for creating written records.
To become a transcriptionist, you’ll need to do the following:
- Develop excellent listening and typing skills. Transcriptionists need to be able to accurately transcribe spoken words and may need to type quickly to keep up with the pace of the recording.
- Gain experience with transcription software and tools. This may involve learning to use transcription software, such as Express Scribe, and becoming familiar with tools such as foot pedals, which can help you control the audio while transcribing.
- Research and apply for transcription jobs or consider starting your own transcription business. Many transcriptionists work as freelancers and are responsible for finding their own clients and managing their own schedules.
- Continuously improve your skills and stay up-to-date with the latest transcription tools and techniques.
Being a transcriptionist can be a flexible way to work from home, but it’s important to keep in mind that it can also be time-consuming and requires a significant investment of time and effort. It’s also important to be detail-oriented and accurate when transcribing, as errors can lead to mistakes in the final transcription.
9. Virtual Assistant – Work From Home Jobs
A virtual assistant is a self-employed administrative professional who provides support services to clients remotely. Virtual assistants may handle a wide variety of tasks, depending on the needs of their clients, such as:
- Email management: This may involve responding to emails, organizing and prioritizing emails, and drafting emails on behalf of the client.
- Scheduling: Virtual assistants may be responsible for managing the client’s calendar, scheduling appointments and meetings, and sending out reminders.
- Data entry: Virtual assistants may be responsible for entering data into databases or spreadsheet programs.
- Social media management: This may involve creating and scheduling social media posts, interacting with followers, and managing the overall presence of a brand on social media platforms.
- Research: Virtual assistants may be responsible for conducting online research and collecting information on a variety of topics.
To become a virtual assistant, you’ll need to do the following:
- Determine your areas of expertise and the types of tasks you are comfortable handling. This will help you identify the types of clients you are best suited to work with.
- Set up a website or online platform to promote your services and attract clients. This should include information about your background and experience, as well as details about the services you offer and your rates.
- Promote your services through social media, email marketing, and other marketing strategies to attract potential clients.
- Communicate with clients to understand their needs and expectations and provide high-quality support and assistance.
- Manage your own schedule and workload, as well as handle any necessary billing and invoicing.
Being a virtual assistant can be a flexible and rewarding way to work from home, but it’s important to keep in mind that it can also be competitive and may require a significant investment of time and effort to attract and retain clients. It’s also important to provide high-quality support and assistance to clients to ensure their satisfaction and success.
General Virtual Assistants’ pay varies wildly from as low as $5 per hour to $100 per hour, depending on skill set, experience, and location.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of Work From Home Jobs you can do from the comfort of your home, I can go on and list at least 50 more jobs, however, I wanted to mention basic Work From Home Jobs that are accessible to the average person.
There are hundreds of other advanced skills that are in massive demand and command very high pay, like programming, web development, creative arts, Animation, VR, etc, but these high-skill jobs require the kind of expertise that is not very easy to acquire.
But for the average person that wants something to start doing immediately, the 9 Work From Home Jobs above, require a few weeks of training, to acquire the requisite skills and start earning some income.